Abercromby Nursery School ensures children learn in a safe, caring and enriching environment. Children are taught how to keep themselves safe, to develop positive and healthy relationships, how to avoid situations where they might be at risk in an age appropriate way. We also support parents to keep children safe at home.
The school also has a statutory responsibility to share any concerns it might have about a child in need of protection with other agencies and in particular police, health and children’s services. Schools are not able to investigate child protection concerns but have a legal duty to refer them. In most instances the school will be able to inform the parents/carers of its need to make a referral. However, sometimes the school can in certain circumstances share information without the consent of the family and may be advised by children’s services or police that the parent/carer cannot be informed whilst they investigate the matter or make enquires. We understand the anxiety parents/carers understandably feel when they are not told about any concerns from the outset. The school follows legislation that aims to act in the interests of the child.
The school will always seek to work in partnership with parents and other agencies to ensure the best possible outcomes for the child and family.
We have the following in place to help protect the children, including:
- all staff have been trained to identify signs of abuse
- there are clear procedures to follow if they are worried about a child
- there are designated staff responsible for dealing with child protection
- there are safe recruitment practices for all new staff
- all students and volunteers receive appropriate induction and supervision
- there are statutory and relevant policies including a child protection policy, whistle-blowing policy and staff code of conduct; these are regularly updated and part of our everyday practice
We listen to and work closely with our staff, families and children so that everyone feels safe and protected in our school environment. Where appropriate, we will work with other agencies to provide support to anyone who needs it.